MAP testing for 9th grade students will take place some time between now and June 7th. MAP consists of two parts, Reading and Algebra:
· MAP Reading is only for those 9th grade students who did not meet standard on the state's Reading MSP in 8th grade
· MAP Algebra is only for the those 9th graders who are currently taking Algebra I. Please note that this test is in addition to the state’s End of Course exam in Algebra, which will be administered in early June.
The MAP testing will be approximately 1 hour on each of two different days that we have not yet determined. This testing does not in any way disrupt class time for students.
Many of you may have read about MAP in the newspaper in the last few months. Many high schools are boycotting MAP for varied reasons, while the Superintendent of SPS still supports its administration for this year. Please see below for links to this information.
· District’s MAP information page: http://www.seattleschools.org/modules/cms/pages.phtml?sessionid=&pageid=219359
· Article on recommendation about MAP by District Task Force on Assessment:
· Information on reasons for the boycott and list of participating schools:
While The Center School’s administration will be giving MAP testing in compliance with the district's directives, we also recognize that some parents may want to excuse their students from it. Because we don't yet know how many students will be testing, we gave not yet set up a testing schedule. If you wish to excuse your student from any of the MAP testing, please send an e-mail to Karen Harmon, our counselor, at
with the following information. Please feel free to cut and paste the format below into a separate e-mail to send to Ms. Harmon:
Your child's full name:
Your full name:
Your phone number:
Your e-mail address:
The words "Please excuse my child from Spring MAP 2013"